Black Voices: A Supportive Group for Black Students
Facilitated weekly by: Kimberly Burdine, PhD & Bernasha Anderson, MS
Black Voices is a weekly, drop-in discussion group intended to offer Black students a mental health based support system on campus. Black Voices is made in partnership with CMHC and AADS! Students can come to any part of the meeting, and there is no registration needed to attend. Feel free to bring a friend and check it out!
What to expect?!
Black Voices is open to all Black-identified students, inclusive of our diverse national, racial and ethnic backgrounds. We also honor the ways Black identity is richly intersectional, and invite students to bring the fullness of their cultural identity into the discussion.
In Black Voices, you can expect to connect with other Black and African American graduate and undergraduate students and discuss topics including, but not limited to:
• Race relations and sociopolitical climate on campus, in Austin, in U.S., abroad
• Gender equality, sexism, misogyny and transmisogynior; portrayal of Black trans, female and male identity in media and on campus
• Mass incarceration, police brutality, cultural appropriation, identity-invisibility and –erasure, Islamophobia and other systemic issues that historically and currently marginalize/oppress the Black community
• Career, religious and spiritual development/identity in the Black community
• Sexuality, gender identity & relationships in the Black community; heteronormativity; homophobia and transphobia
**To ensure that the group offers a safe space, leaders will invite the group to explore their racial and ethnic identity in the context of discussion that affirms the existence of and psychosocial impact of racism and all other forms of marginalization and systemic oppression.
~Light refreshments are offered during this group~
We hope to see you there!
-Kim & Bernasha
**Please note that there's an option through this event page to sign-up to attend ("I'm Going" and "Invite Friends") in the upper right side. Signing up here, makes your attendance public knowledge. To ensure your privacy, please follow the link in the event website section below and select the tab "Click Here to Receive Reminder Emails". This is the only way to ensure your privacy when registering to attend Black Voices.
Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 3:00pm to 4:30pm
Gordon White Building (GWB), 3.200A
210 24TH ST W, Austin, Texas 78705